‘Man Boobs’ a term not so loved by men. It may sound funny but it’s not for those who actually have them. It’s like the worst nightmare for them. They usually get conscious about their looks and often feel ashamed. Every problem has a solution and so does ‘Moobs’. This article will throw light on what are man boobs and how to get rid of man boobs.
What are Man Boobs?
First, let us get to the basics of man boobs. There are two conditions in which you can develop moobs. One is fluctuations in the level of estrogen and testosterone in your body. The level of estrogen increases and testosterone decreases. This condition is called gynecomastia. There is no specific age group that can fall prey to gynecomastia.
The other condition is a pseudo gynecomastia. This is caused as a result of the increase in fat deposition near the chest. This normally happens when you are overweight or there is a hormone imbalance.
Have man boobs? Don’t worry you are not alone, a study shows that around 30 percent of men develop man boobs at some point in life. However, if you are facing this condition it is better to first consult a doctor and then try any solution or exercise.
Now that you know what are the main causes of the enlarged breasts, let us move on to another important point – How to get rid of man boobs?
How to Get Rid of Man Boobs: Some basic Tips
Every man dreams of showing off their body and abs, being shirtless, wearing tight t-shirts, or taking shirtless photos. But the man boobs makes them self-conscious and the dreams shatter into pieces.
Well, there is no exercise specifically targeted to any part of the body, whether it’s the excess fat in your belly, thighs, or man boobs. You cannot spot reduce it without losing the overall body fat. Therefore, to get rid of man boobs you cannot just target the fat tissues near the chest, you’ll have to lower your overall body fat.
Here are a few tips which will help you in getting a healthy body and lose the fat near your chest.
Maintain Proper Diet
Calories play a very important role in your overall weight loss. If you do not have a proper and healthy diet you will send to gain weight. Most of us have a sedentary lifestyle, hence it is difficult to burn off the calories that we intake.
All the junk foods, high sugary foods, foods with a high content of fats and carbs have more calories and increase the fat accumulation in your body. Also, you must keep track of all your meals. This will help you understand how many calories you intake and how many you should burn.
It might be difficult to give up on burgers and pizzas initially but slowly you’ll get the hang of it. Strictly avoid junk food and switch to nutrient-rich foods, vegetables, fruits, lean meat, whole grains. Reduce your calorie intake slowly, but do not starve yourself.
Keep Yourself Hydrated
To keep hydrated does not mean drinking sugary drinks, sodas, cold drinks, or alcohol. They contain a lot of sugar and calories which are not easy to digest.
Also, when you exercise and reduce your diet, it is important that your body gets enough water throughout the day. You must try to follow the ‘eight glasses of water’ per day rule for a healthy drinking habit.
Well, sleeping won’t help you lose weight but if you sleep less, you’ll gain more weight. It is important to give proper rest to your body at least once a week. If you exercise throughout the week your body needs a day off for muscles repairing. You can do yoga or just go for a light stroll. Additionally, your body needs at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep.
How To Get Rid Of Man Boobs: Exercises
As mentioned before, spot-reduction is not possible and therefore you will need a total-body workout to lose overall body fat. But you can include more of those exercises which target the chest muscles. Here are a few exercises that you can try.
Push-up alone cannot reduce your chest fat but it is a great total-body workout. They will burn quite a number of calories and help you in toning your chest muscles. There are so many versions of push-ups, but beginners can start with the basic push-up and add modifications in further stages.
How to do:
- Get into a high planks position. The distance between your hands should be slightly wider than the shoulder-width and your arms should be just below the shoulders.
- Your head, back, and hips should be in a straight line. Also, you must keep your torso tight. This is your starting position.
- Now lower yourself down until your chest nearly touches the floor. Bend your elbows while doing so. They should be near your body instead of flaring out at the sides.
- Lift yourself up and get back to the starting position.
- Repeat this for 10-12 reps in each set.
2. Cable Fly
This exercise too helps you lose the overall body fat and therefore can be a part of total body workout routine or chest workout routine. They target all the muscle groups of chest, shoulders, and triceps. But it mainly works on your pec muscles. Cable fly also increases your core strength and stability.
How to do:
- Set a desired weight in the cable fly machine and grasp both the handles. The height of the pully should be above the shoulder length.
- Now move one of your legs a step forward and pull the handles to bring them in front of you. Your hands should be completely extended forward with a little bend in the elbow and your palms should be facing each other. This would be the starting position.
- You now have to move your shoulders to open up your arms and bring them to your sides with palms facing out. There should be a slight bend in the elbow.
- Return back to the starting position. This will be one rep. Perform 3 sets of 101-2 reps each.
3. Bench Press
You cannot miss bench press from the list of chest workout exercises. Bench press also targets your chest, shoulders, and triceps. In the bench press, you use weights to press it against your body (chest) which makes your chest muscles stronger.
Start the exercise with smalls weights and increase it with the number of sets. There are many variations of bench press, choose the one that is suitable to you. Below are the steps for the barbell bench press.
How to do:
- If you are a beginner you might need help from someone to assist you in this exercise. Lie down on a bench and ask someone to lift off the weight and hand it over to you.
- Raise your hands over chest and the distance between your hands should be slightly wider than the shoulder-width.
- Hold on to the weight with your palms facing out. Press up the weight until out your arms are straight.
- Be in this position for a second. Now flex your elbows to bring down the bar until it’s just above or nearly touches your chest.
- Lift your arms back up by extending your elbows and complete one rep. Perform 10-15 reps in each set.
4. Dumbbell Fly
Dumbbell fly is an isolation exercise of the chest muscles. Moreover, it also focuses on your shoulders and triceps. It makes your chest muscles strong and helps you get in shape. You can start with small weights, increase the weights gradually. To make it more challenging, instead of keeping your feet flat on the ground lift your legs up and cross them.
How to do:
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and lay back on a bench with your feet flat on the ground. Hold the dumbbells near your chest and get ready for the exercise.
- Lift your dumbbells high up in the air on over your chest. Your palms should be facing inwards. This is your start position.
- Hold this position for a second and start lowering down your arms laterally to your sides. Lower them down till the dumbbells are in line with the shoulders. Flex your elbows while doing it.
- Again hold this position for a second and move the dumbbells back up while extending your arms above the chest i.e. start position. With this, you finish one rep of this exercise.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps each.
Most of us have a sedentary lifestyle and there is very little activity involved. This won’t help if you are looking forward to losing bodyweight. Try to involve activities like walking, running, cycling, and swimming in your daily routine.
The weight training exercise, when combined with cardio, will burn off more calories and fats at a faster rate. That means you can get rid of the chest fast sooner. Cardio workouts increase your heart rate and help you lose weight. Some cardio exercises are:
- Jumping jacks
- Squat Jumps
- Mountain climbers
Continue Reading: How to Lose Face Fat