Many of us prefer lower body workout than the upper body but this leaves us with a strong lower body and weak upper body. We generally ignore the upper body exercises because we actually have no idea what it targets and what are their benefits.
Upper body workout targets body parts like back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, and chest. These body workouts use muscles and joints that strengthens and tones your upper body. As a result, everyday activities like lifting things, pushing and pulling something, opening cans or jars, and other such tasks which involves strengths quite easy and smooth.
It is important to balance both during your workouts. Thus, make a workout timetable for the week which includes upper, lower, and total body workout. Follow it regularly and you’ll find yourself for from head to toe in no time.
These workouts are not very difficult and only have a few requirements. You’ll need dumbbells, a mat, and lots of motivation. To help you we have listed below a few upper body workout for women.
7 Easy and Effective Upper Body Workout for Women
1. Bent over the front and lateral raise
This exercise targets the upper body parts like chest, back, shoulders, and arms. It improves your posture and tones your arms.
How to do(Front Raise):
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Squat slightly by bending your knees and leaning forward until your torso is somewhat parallel to the ground.
- Hold dumbbells in each hand and keep your arms straight in front of you.
- Now without changing your posture bring your arms overhead, hold it for a few seconds and bring your arms down near your knees.
- Repeat this motion for 50 seconds and take a break of 10 seconds. This is bent over front raise.
How to do (Lateral raise):
- The starting position is the same as the front raise.
- Hold dumbbells in each hand and keep your hands hanging down tight and straight.
- Now without changing the position lift your arms to the side till they are in a straight line with the shoulders.
- Bring the arms back to the original position.
- Repeat this again for 60 seconds and take a paise of 10 seconds.
2. Overhead press
This exercise mainly works with the upper back, shoulders, and triceps muscles and strengthens them. This is also called an overhead shoulder press.
How to do:
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold dumbbells in both hands.
- Now bend your elbows in such a way that they are in a straight line with the shoulders and forearms are parallel to your head i.e. make a 90° with your arms.
- Your palms should be facing forward. Lift the dumbbells up in the air over your head.
- Bring them down to the starting position.
- Reaper this exercise for 50 seconds and wait for 10 seconds before moving to the next set or exercise.
3. Alternating shoulder press and twist
This is another great upper body exercise which works well with shoulders, triceps, and abs. It also tones flabby arms. So, along with fitting into skinny jeans you will look amazing in fitted T-shirts and bikinis.
How to do:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hold dumbbells in each hand and raise them to your shoulder by bending your elbow. Your palms should be facing each other.
- Now rotate your torso to the right and push the dumbbell in your left hand towards the ceiling slightly above your head.
- Rotate your torso and come back to the starting position.
- Repeat the same with your other hand. This will complete one rep.
- Do this again for the next 50 seconds.
4. Biceps Curl
As the name suggests biceps curl tones your biceps and forearms and reduced the arm flab. They make your upper body strong and reduced the strain on your arms when you need to do some heavy activity.
How to do:
- Stand comfortably with feet shoulder-width apart and your upper arms glued to your body.
- Clutch the dumbbell in each palm and face the palms forward.
- Now bend your elbows and raise the dumbbells to your shoulders without moving the upper arms.
- Lower the dumbbells and repeat this for 12-15 times.
Remember to do this slowly and without raising the dumbbells too high.
5. Triceps Dips
Triceps is also a very powerful part of your body and they must jot be ignored. Here’s an exercise which completely targets on making your triceps stronger. While many of us perform normal dips to tone your chest muscles, this tricep dips will work on your triceps, chest, and shoulders. You will be needing a chair to perform this exercise.
How to do:
- Take a chair and sit at the edge. Place your palms on the edge facing down and grip the chair with your fingers.
- Now bend your knees at 90° and place your feet flat on the floor. Move a little forward keeping the elbow straight till your hips and butt are in front of the edge.
- Now lower your hips and bend your elbows at 90°. Keep lowering your hips till your upper arm is parallel to the chair.
- Now push back up and straighten your arms.
- Try to do 10-15 reps.
6. Arnold Press
Arnold press is an improved version of the overhead press. There is only a slight variation in the starting position.
How to do:
- Clutch the dumbells in your palms, glue your upper arm to your body and fold the elbows in a way that the palms are facing you and the weights are in front of your shoulder.
- Next, raise the arms to the side like in overhead press and finally lift the dumbbells over your head with the palms facing forward.
- Move back down in the reverse motion. This completes one rep.
- Now, this should be done in one fluid motion, which results in dumbbells twisting and palms rotating.
- Perform 10-12 reps.
The last exercise on the list of upper body workout for women is Push-ups. It is a great exercise as it works for your complete body. But it mainly targets chest, lower back, arms, and shoulders.
How to do:
- Start off in a plank position. Keep your arms at a shoulder-width distance, move your feet slightly wider and raise yourself on your palms.
- Lower yourself down as you bring the chest towards the floor as you bend your elbows pointed towards hips and not outwards.
- Now push yourself up.
Also, if you are looking forward to some thigh exercises don’t forget to read our article on – How to get rid of inner thigh fats